The Streetbank Santa Five Step Plan
Organising a Streetbank Santa is simple:
- Decide who you want to invite (neighbours, colleagues, friends, family), where you want to host it (home, work, local café, school playground, community centre) and when.
- Write invitations (by hand or email) to your guests inviting them to wrap up something of good quality that they no longer want, such as a DVD, toy or cookbook. We’ve put an invitation template here if you want to use it
- Get your invitations out. If you can knock on people’s doors and invite them in person, they're more likely come, you’ll make a friend and they might just offer to help organise.
- Get together to open your pre-loved gifts.
- Start sharing things around - if you’ve received something you already have (two Lady Gaga albums might be taking things a bit far) or something that’s not quite right for your age (few 30 year-olds will admit wanting to keep the teddy bear), swap things with each other. Slightly chaotic and a lot of fun is the name of the game.
Remember, this is all about generosity and neighbourliness so make sure everyone receives a gift by the end of play.
Big, small, inside, outside – it’s up to you what you do for your Streetbank Santa, the aim is simply to bring people together for a mince pie or two and a bit of festive cheer.